Why Thailand?

Thailand intrigues me as I have always dreamt of being able to go to a foreign country to teach for a year. Travelling through a teaching abroad program called "CIEE", my dream is now a possibility. The "CIEE" program will place me at a public elementary school in a town near Bangkok, Thailand's most populated city.

Thailand was my choice of country due to it's affordability, the captivating culture, and amazing white sandy beaches. The second reason I chose Thailand was because I wanted to explore my boundaries, and take a step away from the city life that I am used to. Thailand is a developing country and I am eager to explore it and see what life is like outside of my Canadian bubble.

I was also drawn to Thailand as many of the people living there practice Buddhism. I am curious to learn about other religions and develop an understanding for Buddhism. Growing up as a Muslim, I have come to be increasingly curious and I hope to become more educated about how other people practice faith.

Although I will be working for the 10 months that I am in Thailand, I will use my weekends to travel the surrounding cities. I will be able to experience life in Thailand first hand and learn to be accustom to their way of life. Since I will have close contact with the local Thai people, I hope to acquire some knowledge about the native language.